During these cold months I quite like to have warm food at lunchtime. I don’t always have the time to cook something during the day for myself – especially with the kids having different lunch times and wanting to sit with both of them whilst they eat. They’re also not so keen on chickpeas and lentils (yet). What i tend to do is cook a batch of something healthy, yummy, filling and easy to reheat in the microwave.
Chickpea, Tomato and Spinach Curry with Egg
- 2 large Free range eggs
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp Medium curry powder alter to suit your taste
- 1 tsp Garlic granules
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes or fresh tomatoes
- 400 g Tin Chickpeas
- 0.5 tbsp Lemon juice alter to suit taste
- 100 ml Boiling Water reduce if using fresh tomatoes
- 180 g Baby Leaf Spinach add as much as you'd like
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boil the eggs for 6-8 minutes. Leave to cool before shelling and halving.
- Heat the oil in a wide frying pan over a low heat. Add the cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, curry powder, garlic granules and ground ginger and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chick peas, lemon juice and boiling water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over a high heat for 6-8 minutes or until reduced and thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add the spinach and stir in until wilted.
- Divide the curry between 2 bowls and top with the halved eggs.
- Optional: Sprinkle with extra curry powder and chopped fresh coriander.